Capsized Tales

A Narrow Escape
St. Joseph Herald - Jan 22, 1870 - page 4; col 5

Capt. Barnes of Tug Daisy Lee, was going on Sabbath morning last, in company with his wife an little daughter, to Benton Harbor on the road by Jordan's Mill and fish houses under the hill. A boy from the shanties on the bluff, slid down hill in a manner which frightened the horse, making him jump out of the road, and before he could be controlled, both horse and wagon had capsized over the embankment, which is perpendicular, pitching Captain Barnes over the dashboard headforemost to the bottom of the river, into seven feet of water, tumbling Mrs. barnes into waist-deep water, and submerging the little child beyond her depth where the was floating down with the current.

The blow on the Captain's head did not deprive him of self-possession, and he instantly on coming up, swam for and saved his child, putting her in the hands of kind friends who hastened to the rescue. Mrs. Barnes had been wading in up to her shoulders to save her daughter, and was almost at the mercy of the swift cold river. The Captin brought her also to the shore and then went for his horse which had swam out with the wagon. Though badly frightened no one was seriously hurt.


Capsized !
St. Joseph Herald May 17, 1884

Fred. Clamfoot's fish-boat capsied near the north pier on her way out early Thrusday Morning. The boat was in charge of Paul Loesher with two men, John Weber and Jos. Neuschelle. Jas. Flynn, who was on duty at the Life-Saving Station, gave the alarm and very quickly the Life-Saving crew were at the capsized craft and rescued Loesher and Neuschelled from their dangerous position. Weber had already be saved by Wilson's sail boat, in charge of William Weckler, which was also on her way to her nets. The wind was blowing quite fresh and teh sea making fast at the time. The tug Harrison, Theo . Lutz in command, towed the capsized craft into port.

The call for help was so sudden and early that Keeper Stevens did not have time to dress fully, but bare footed and bare-headed and with only his pants and a light shirt for a covering to his body he took his position in his boat and kept it until he landed the soaked men and hour and a half later safely on the dock.

The members of the St. Joseph Life-Saving crew are sort o'water fowls as well as land-lubbers, and the Keeper, his wife and the men, all seem to fill their positions very acceptably and well.


A Close Call
St. Joseph Herald - May 29, 1886 - pg 3, Col. 3

An accident happened on the lake Thursday that came near costing St. Joseph a number of her citizens. Early in the morning of that day the tug Artie Ward towed some pond-net boats south to their regular fishing grounds. In one of these boats were the regular crew, Wm. Merrick, Mr. Buffett and Adam Weckler, with Dr. H. W. Ray, the well-known dentist, as a passenger. At a point about ten miles souththis pont-net boat was dropped by the tug to lift the nets there, when the tug passed on to another lifting point. In the meantime, quite a breeze had come up and a lively sea was running byt Messr. Merrick, Buffett and Weckler went to work lifting, and while thus engaged a heavy sea suddenly cauther their boat, capsized it and the men were at the mercy of Lake Michigan. Fortunately all were soon able to secure a hold to the side of the boat and the rope cut thast held it to the spiles, when they drifted shoreward. For over two hours the men were in the water and they were nearly exhausted when they finally reached shore. About this time the tug hove in sight on her return tipr, anchored a safe distance out and swinging the other pond-net boat toward shore soon had the water soaked and chiled men safe on board again. Of course they were glad to get home, and they do not care to be caughter in the same fix again. It was a close call for them.


St. Joseph Herald - November 5, 1887; page 3 Col. 1
Notes under Brevities
John Springstean went over to Benton Harbo in a boat Saturday night. Soon afterwards village marshall Burr heard cries from the canal, near the bridge, and going to the spot found Springtean clinging to a spile. The Marshal assisted him out onto dry land. His boat had capsized.


brief note on boating mishaps
St. Joseph Herald - May 2, 1888
George Davidson and Frank Brayman upsized their sailboat in the St. Joseph river the day before. Thanks to a member of teh St. Joseph Life-Saving Crew, they were rescued. In the same article it is mentioned that Willis Woodurff, out on the lake in a skiff, also capsized and would have drowned had it not been for the quick action of two young men who happened to see the accident and came to his rescue.

Berrien County Genweb Index Page